I'm somewhat partial to my native corner of the Emerald City, West Seattle. It's surrounded by water, green as can be, and the views of the city are spectacular. I was born and raised here in the West and I simply love it. What was once a sleepy community annexed from Seattle proper is now a booming community filled with boutique shopping, culinary excellence and engaging nightlife.
A little bit of history on West Seattle:
On November 13, 1851 Arthur Denny and friends landed the schooner Exact at Alki Beach. Denny came here with the intention of starting a community which differed from other previous explorers who sought out to farm and grow crops. By 1870 the population in Seattle had grown to 1,000+ people.
Fast Forward to today's growth:
According to an article published by the Seattle times this summer, Redfin determined that the number one neighborhood searched by bay area techies is West Seattle. These tech kids represent significant portion of those migrating into the greater Seattle area and bring with them desirable work skills that command high salaries. A software developer may make 12% more at a job in Silicon Valley but the price of a home is a whopping 86% MORE expensive than Seattle. Higher incomes and better value in the Seattle market make neighborhoods like West Seattle the perfect place to put down roots.
If you've never had the distinct pleasure of heading over to West Seattle on a free weekend, let me entice you with my top ten favorite things about this neighborhood.
- Lincoln Park - shore, views, trails and ferries. Go take a walk in this urban oasis
- Husky Deli - try a scoop of the"Husky Flake" Ice cream- it's yummy
- Mini Statue of Liberty on Alki Beach
- Burgers at Swinery
- Target at Westwood Village - awesome parking situation
- Water Taxi - park on Alki and hop on a little boat into downtown
- Phoenecia on Alki
- Brunch at Endolyne Joe's - rotating menu
- Wet Seattle Nursery - get your green thumb on
- Talarico's - giant pizza slice
- BONUS! Fitbar Cafe - best Acai bowls North of Brazil